Tranmere have announced that Luke McCullough’s loan at Prenton Park has now been extended until the end-of-the-season.
The 24-year-old defensive midfielder has become an integral part of Micky Mellon’s play-off chasing team since joining in August. The Northern Ireland international formed an excellent partnership with Ollie Banks before the latter picked up an injury.
McCullough has continued to play a key role in Banks’ absence, predominantly playing alongside Jay Harris in a holding role. Losing him would have been a blow to Micky Mellon, but the Rovers boss is delighted to have secured his services for the remainder of the current campaign.
Speaking to the official Tranmere club website, Mellon said: “We are delighted because we know the value he adds to the squad. He has good experience and he does his role well.
“He has played very well so far for the Club and we are delighted he is staying until the end of the season.”
In a further boost ahead of Friday’s FA Cup Third Round tie against Tottenham, McCullough has also now been cleared to play in the competition for Tranmere. He had previously been denied permission by his parent club, Doncster Rovers.
Also speaking to the TRFC website, the player himself confirmed his pleasure at seeing the deal extended until the season’s end.
He said: “The manager told me that he wanted me to stay and I am now just looking forward to the rest of the season,”
“We have got over the Christmas period and we are still just outside the Play-Offs and the automatic promotion places. We want to kick on in 2019 and do as well as we can, starting tomorrow night against Tottenham.”
Tranmere are also set to have the fit again Ollie Banks available for the Spurs tie, while Harvey Gilmour’s loan is due to expire on Saturday.