Rovers complete league double over Morecambe


Three superb first-half goals were enough for Tranmere to secure three points as they completed the league double over Morecambe.

Micky Mellon brought Cole Stockton back into the starting line-up against the club with whom he spent time on-loan, and it was Stockton who opened the scoring.

There were just three minutes on the clock when Stockton superbly drilled the ball home from the edge of the box. It came after hard work from Connor Jennings forced Morecambe on to the backfoot. The ball eventually ricochet off Jennings into the path of Stockton on the left-edge of the box. The striker instinctively produced a brilliant half-volley which flew in to the bottom corner.

Having taken stick from some small sections of the Prenton Park faithful recently, Stockton celebrated by cupping his hand to his ear. Good on him.

Rovers were again set-up to allow the opposition to have the lion’s share of possession, relying on counter-attacks as an offensive threat. It was working a treat.

Morecambe had a few opportunities to equalise but lacked quality when it came to the crunch in the final third. Rovers had no such trouble and the lead was doubled on 28 minutes.

It came up the right as Jake Caprice was found by Jennings, and his right-wing cross was touched faintly by Stockton toward Norwood behind him. Norwood took a touch, steadied himself, and placed the ball in to the corner of the net.

James Norwood scores Tranmere’s second goal during the Sky Bet League Two match between Tranmere and Morecambe (Richard Ault/Tranmere Rovers)

It was as frustrating for Morecambe as it was satisfyingly efficient for Tranmere. And there was more to come as the home side put the match to bed a minute before the break.

James Norwood battled his way up the left wing before laying the ball to Ridehalgh on the touchline. The left-back had made a lung-bursting run to allow him to overlap and then produced a perfect cross for midfielder Jay Harris who stooped to head the ball home.

Tranmere were in cruise control in the second half, with Stockton and Norwood both going closest to adding a fourth. The visitors pulled one back with an absolute worldie from their left-back which give Scott Davies no chance in goal, but it was fairly comfortable otherwise.

Cole Stockton was replaced late on and left the field to a standing ovation after a goal and a performance which deserved just that.

Rovers are up to eighth again, two points off the play-offs and just four off the top three. Yeovil Town are up next.

You may also like

Hot News