Rovers Back To Winning Ways!


A goal in each half ensured Tranmere Rovers got back to winning ways with a 2-0 victory over Stevenage at Prenton Park.

Loanee Kieron Morris netted at the end of the first half before James Norwood notched his 20th league goal of the season to secure maximum points for Micky Mellon’s men after three defeats on the spin.

The Tranmere boss named an unchanged starting XI to that which was defeated against Northampton Town in midweek, with Ollie Banks returning from suspension to take a place on the substitutes’ bench.

It was a bright start to the game from the hosts, looking to put recent disappointing results behind them.

Morris had a chance on goal after good build up work from Connor Jennings and Ben Pringle, but the on-loan Walsall man’s effort was blocked before the Stevenage defence cleared their lines.

He was looking a constant threat down the right hand side and cutting in onto his left foot, and soon after, he drove past a couple of defenders before unleashing a powerful low shot which was parried away by the Boro goalkeeper.

Midway through the half, following an excellent touch and ball by James Norwood, Connor Jennings raced down on goal but his curling effort was well saved by Paul Farman.

On-loan defender Sid Nelson suffered a head injury and was forced off to be replaced by Mark Ellis at the heart of the Rovers rearguard.

Norwood had a header off target before the deadlock was broken deep into first half stoppage time.

Jennings picked up a loose ball following a left wing corner and delivered a pin-point cross which found the head of Morris at the back post who nodded home to give Tranmere the lead at one of the best times to score.

Rovers continued where they left off at the beginning of the second half, on the front foot and causing the Stevenage defence problems.

Jennings fired a couple of efforts from distance narrowly off target before Norwood nodded a deep Liam Ridehalgh cross wide, with Boro defender Ben Nugent getting involved with the Tranmere number 10 off the ball and earning himself a yellow card.

Ben Pringle and Jennings again fired narrowly over the top of the crossbar as Rovers went in search of a second goal.

On 74 minutes, Nugent went in strongly for a challenge on Jennings and although he played the ball, the referee deemed it to be dangerous and gave the central defender his marching orders with a second yellow card.

Five minutes later, Tranmere made the man advantage pay as they finally got the all-important second goal to kill the game off.

Jennings was the architect once more as he received the ball from Pringle before setting a delightful little pass to Norwood who skipped around the goalkeeper and fired into the roof of the net from a narrow angle.

Jonny Smith was introduced into the action to replace Morris while Chris Dagnall replaced Jennings as Micky Mellon brought on fresh legs for the final stages.

Norwood fired a powerful left-footed effort which was tipped around the post by the goalkeeper before Stevenage were reduced to nine men in second half injury time.

Elijah Adebayo went up for a challenge with Mark Ellis and caught the Tranmere man in the face. The referee pulled out his red card and the visitors had to play the game out two men short.

So, Rovers get back to winning ways and there were signs of the team playing some of the exciting football seen earlier in the season once more.

The recent signings looked better having had more game time and time out on the training ground together, so plenty to be positive about after a frustrating period of results in the past few weeks.

You may also like

Hot News